Saturday, August 7, 2010

Care Packages (They're Not Just for Our Deployed Loved Ones)

So the other night (Thrus. night to be exact) I was having a really really really hard time falling asleep. My mind just would not shut down and stop thinking. You see two of my really good girl friends are going though one of the roughest patches of their lives and I can't be there to help them like I so want to be. One lives in Florida, about 5hrs away ... The other in New Mexico, about 26hrs away.

I am not used to this. I am used to being able to drop everything I am doing and going take my friend to lunch, dinner, a movie ... Anything to help them get their mind off what they are going though. But this is the first time that I have been so far away that I can't just drive over to put a smile on their face.

So what do you do at times like this? Times when you know that your friend needs something to make them smile. Times when you just want to be there for them and know that you can't.

This is what was racing though my mind for HOURS the other night ... And I finally came up with something ... A care package!

We send them off everyday to our loved ones that are deployed. We pack it full of things that we know they will love; whether it be their favorite cookies, magazines, fresh socks & and then there's that card with the letter that we poured our heart into telling them how much we miss and love them.

Why can't we do this for our friends that need a little pick me up?

So that exactly what I decided to do, I would go out and get a few things that would help them out, make their days a little easier and put a smile on their face.

I decided on an aroma therapy candle from Bath and Body works, some local Georgia wine from Lane Packing, a cute cheesy stuffed animal from Target, Skittles & Starburts (I would have sent chocolate but was scared it would melt), and of course a sweet card telling them how much I wish I could be there, but wanted them to know that I was thinking of them, how strong they were, and that they would get though this. I then took it to the post office and sent them on their way ... One to Florida and one to New Mexico.

Now I know this won't even begin to do as much good as being there in person, but I know that when they get the package, open it up & see that someone is thinking of them enough to put something like this together for them it will make them feel a little better and it will take their minds off everything that is going on ... And to me that is exactly what I want to happen.

So the next time your girlfriend is going though something ... Or even a family member ... Why not take the time and do something nice for them? It doesn't have to be a care package! Even just a card or sending flowers will make them smile and take their mind off things :)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great post! I am sure your friends will love getting your packages, so sweet!

Jessica Lynn said...

Brooke, that's incredibly sweet of you and something I can't wait to do when a friend of mine needs a little pick up. Great thinking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template by suckmylolly.com