Monday, October 4, 2010

Counting my Blessings

Let me just tell you ... since two Mondays ago I have sat down to write this blog many many maaaaaannnnny times and every time I do my stomach goes into knots instantly (like it is now). You see this is something hard for me to post but then it's something good at the same time ...

I learn something about myself on Sept. 24th ... I learned that I am prone to getting skin cancer ... And how do I know this you might ask ... Well you see about two years ago I started getting a small mold on the top of my head, right inside my hair line. I never thought anything of it, plus to me it was an easy way of knowing where to part my hair daily. But it started to grow, and it grew FAST and ugly. It wasn't until my Mom said something about it about a year ago that I really thought that it might be something to worry about. But I put it off. I didn't want to know it could be something bad. And by the looks of it, I knew it could be something bad.

Well I finally got the nerves to finally get it looked at. I went to a dermatologist on Sept. 8th, he took one look at it and said "That needs to come out. But we are going to have to surgically remove it." So I came back a week later on Sept. 15th and had it cut off my head. Then I had to wait two weeks to find out the results ... It was the most nerve racking two weeks of my life!!

I went in on the morning of the 24th to have the stitches removed and to find out what exactly it was, if anything.

The doctor came in and told me that I should consider myself lucky ... It was an EARLY stage of skin cancer -- Stage I: Cancerous cells are present. Cancerous lesion is less than 2 millimeters in thickness. THANK YOU JESUS. I mean yes it sucks that I had an early stage of it, but it's gone and I don't have to worry about it any more.

But now I know that I HAVE to start being more careful! I can't not take care of my skin any more. Being a fair skinned redhead means I can get skin cancer a lot easier then I thought and trust me I am counting my blessings and plan on taking more caution to the sun now :)

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Template by suckmylolly.com